Academy Enrollment Guidelines
Academy participants must meet the following:
- An Academy student must enroll in a minimum of 12 total credit hours each Fall and Spring semester. The 12 credit hours each semester must consist of at least 2-4 credit hours of engineering-specific courses offered through Texas A&M and taught by Texas A&M faculty on the Brenham Campus, while the remaining credit hours will be offered through Blinn on its Brenham Campus. Exceptions to these guidelines will be approved only under extenuating circumstances.
- Academy students participate within the living-learning community within Mill Creek Hall. Students must complete and follow all housing requirements and regulations as set by the Blinn College District.
- Academy students will not be given priority registration privileges by virtue of their participation in the program; however, they will be placed in section cohorts during their first academic year to enhance their academic success.
- An Academy student may enroll in a total of six Texas A&M credit hours during the Summer and a total of six Blinn College credit hours per Summer term. Exceptions to these guidelines will be approved only under extenuating circumstances.
- An Academy student who drops or withdraws from his/her Texas A&M engineering course offered on the Brenham Campus and falls below one credit hour will be withdrawn from Texas A&M for that semester, forfeiting all Texas A&M student privileges for the remainder of the term. Unless otherwise prohibited, this student may continue in the Academy the subsequent semester.
- An Academy student must plan his/her course schedule to ensure completion of the program in a timely manner, as required under the ‘Timely Completion’ section of this document.
- An Academy student must apply (upon eligibility) for reverse transfer to receive his or her associate degree from Blinn. Dual enrollment at both Texas A&M and Blinn provides enrolled students the option to participate in all student services, student activities, student organizations, etc., to the fullest extent possible at both institutions. Participation in NJCAA sports is allowed at the Blinn-Brenham Campus only if enrolled full-time with Blinn (12 credit hours).
Math Placement Exam (MPE) And Math Requirements
- Academy participants will be required to take the Blinn MPE.
- The Blinn MPE will be used to place participants in the appropriate math course at Blinn.
- Academy participants must be pre-calculus or calculus ready.
- Academy participants must complete their calculus sequence (Calculus I, II, and III) or the required math for the engineering major of interest at Blinn prior to beginning full-time enrollment in an engineering major at Texas A&M.
Grade and Credit Requirements
- Courses taken at Blinn must be appropriate for the student’s preferred major at Texas A&M. Other courses may not be counted toward meeting the minimum required hours.
- Any transferable credits earned through institutions other than the Blinn specific campus or Texas A&M prior to entry into the Academy will count toward the partner institution credit requirement only; grades received for these credits will not count toward the two-year institution GPA requirement. Once a student has entered the Academy, all credits must be earned at Texas A&M and Blinn if they are to be used to satisfy Academy completion requirements. Any Credit by Examination received through Texas A&M before the start of the Academy may count toward the Blinn credit requirement.
- Successful and timely completion of the Academy requires that participants have a minimum CGPA of 2.5 as calculated by Texas A&M on at least 48 hours of transferable work from Blinn and a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on at least 9 credit hours of engineering specific courses from Texas A&M (Texas A&M courses offered on the Brenham Campus) by the end of the first summer term of their second year.
- At least 9 credit hours offered by Texas A&M, must be in three or four-credit-hour courses that satisfy Texas A&M core curriculum or degree requirements (exceptions include ENGR 102, 216, and 117, which are 2 credit hour courses).
- Students completing Items 3 and 4 can then apply for a change of curriculum into a degree-granting major in the College of Engineering. If a student fails to gain transfer admission into an engineering major, Academy advisors will help students identify other majors in or outside the College of Engineering.
- Students who do not successfully complete the Academy requirements or gain transfer admission by the end of the first Summer term following their second year will not be able to continue their enrollment at Texas A&M, but may be eligible for admission as a returning student after the next Fall semester (subject to current readmission criteria) or may transfer to another engineering program.