"Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities (including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, or performing manual tasks), has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment."
A student must:
1. Contact Disability Services;
2. Provide specific documentation of the disability from a qualified professional;
3. Consult with a counselor in Disability Services to determine appropriate accommodations.
Disability Services staff determine the accommodations using:
- Documentation of the disability from qualified professionals provided by the student
- Information gathered from an intake process, and
- Information from history of the disability.
The determination of reasonable accommodations considers the following:
- Classroom or physical barriers,
- The array of accommodations that might remove the barriers,
- Whether or not the person has access to the course, program, service, job, activity, or facility without accommodations, and
- Whether essential elements of the course, program, service, job, activity, or facility are not compromised by the accommodations.
To receive interpreter services the student must contact ODS at least two weeks before the semester begins, place a request for interpreting services for the upcoming semester, and provide a current schedule. This process must be followed so that we can efficiently provide services and accommodations on the first day of class. If a student makes any changes to his/her course schedule, he/she must notify ODS immediately. ODS will have two weeks from the date of written notification to provide services for any changes to class schedules already in place.
For outside class requirements, such as field trips or other assigned activities, as well as meeting with professors during office hours, students should request an interpreter from Disability Services.
For interpreters or transcription services to be in place the first day of class during a Fall semester (August – December), requests must be received by July 15th; for the Spring semester, (January – May), requests for these services must be received no later than November 15th. For these services to be in place the first day of class for a May minimester, summer session I or II, requests must be made by April 1st. For a December minimester, requests must be made by November 1st.