How to Request and Receive Academic Accommodations


Students must request to receive accommodations due to disability need by completing the following process:

  • Apply and be accepted for admission to Blinn College through the standard admissions process.
  • Register with the Disability Services Office.
    NOTE: We can only communicate through your BUC Blinn email account.
  • Provide any relevant documentation that supports and/or explains the requested academic accommodations. This can be faxed, emailed or hand delivered.
  • Upon approval of the submitted documentation, students will receive an email with intake paperwork to complete. Students must return the intake packet. Letters of accommodations (LOAs) will then be processed and sent to the students BUC email. Please keep in mind that accommodations are not retroactive.
  • After the initial registration, students must renew their affiliation and request services at the beginning of each semester to continue receiving services.

Registering with Disability Services

It is the student's responsibility to make his/her accommodation needs known and to provide the appropriate documentation to support the need for the requested accommodations. Students are also responsible for renewing their affiliation and services with the Office of Disability Services Office (ODS) each semester. It is important for students to remember that under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations are provided to ensure equal access. A student has the right to succeed or fail in a course based on his/her academic performance. College accommodations in no way guarantee a student success in a course.


Documentation can be submitted for review at any time during the year as long as the documentation is for a currently registered student or any incoming student that has completed the admission process.

Note: All documentation provided to the Office of Disability Services within the last week of class days will be processed for the following semester. No exceptions will be made to this policy. It is the student's responsibility to apply for and obtain accommodations in a reasonable period within the semester.
Documentation submitted to Disability Services is confidential and used solely for the purpose of assisting students in identifying and securing accommodations and services to support their full participation at Blinn College. Affiliation with Disability Services is not reported on a student's transcript. Students should review the documentation guidelines for more information. Documentation can be emailed, faxed or delivered in person.

Once a Student Applies for Services:

Once a student's application is received along with any supporting documentation, it will be processed through the ODS office. ODS will email the student intake paperwork and instructions to be completed. Upon completion and submission of the intake packet, your letters of accommodations will be drafted.
It is the ODS office's policy that our students are responsible for their success; therefore, the student is required to communicate with his/her counselor to schedule appointments. Parents are not allowed to schedule meetings for a student.

Appropriate accommodations are determined by the counselor and the student based on the type of disability, documented needs, previous accommodations, and functional limitations of the student. The student has the opportunity to review these selections during the letter request process each academic semester. ODS is also able to assist students with temporary disabilities (e.g. broken hand).

Learning Center

The Learning Center at Blinn College works to ensure that appropriate testing accommodations are provided for students who are eligible for services. While ODS and the Learning Center work together closely, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that they have followed all applicable policies and procedures and met all stated Learning Center deadlines.

Sign Language Interpreters

Disability Services offers sign language interpreter and transcription services for academic purposes to qualified students registered with the department. Students must apply for services, be accepted, and complete an intake prior to receiving services. For students needing interpreter or transcription services for other class/student life activities, services must be requested in advance.


Students with disabilities who experience physical barriers on campus are encouraged to contact ODS for assistance.

Resources and Referrals

Although Disability Services does not offer disability evaluation and/or testing, transportation, assistance with personal expenses or personal attendants, ODS does provide referral information and resources. Please visit your respective campus for referral information.