1. Complete all Blinn College requirements for admission. Applicant must meet all Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements or show exemption prior to course work. All developmental courses must be completed prior to admission to the program. Additionally, applicant must show computer literacy by either transcript documentation of high school or college computer science courses, or by recent work history with data processing and/or management.
2. All international students must have passed all sections of TOEFL.
3. Attend a Veterinary Technology informational meeting. Applications are distributed at these meetings. Click here to register for an informational meeting. If extenuating circumstances, such as distance, prohibit attendance at an informational meeting, then potential applicants should contact either the Director of Veterinary Technology, or the Program Facilitator for Allied Health Programs or Administrative Assistant to receive information and an application to the program.
4. Have completed the following prerequisite courses with at least a “C” in each course*:
BIOL 1406 - completed within the last 10 years
CHEM 1411 - completed within the last 10 years
MATH 1314 or 1324 - completed within the last 10 years
ENGL 1301 - no time limit
These courses may be in progress during the spring semester prior to the fall for which admission is sought, but final grades must appear on the official transcript that is submitted with the application packet. An overall GPA of 2.5 or greater is strongly recommended.
* Note: BIOL 2420 (Microbiology) is NOT a prerequisite for the program. It is a corequisite, a class that is taken after formal admittance to the Program. If you have already taken BIOL 2420, it must have been within the last 3 years to count towards your degree plan. If you have not taken BIOL 2420, it is strongly recommended that you wait until you are admitted to the Veterinary Technology Program and take this course along with the first semester VTHT courses since material covered in BIOL 2420 will be integrated with material covered in VTHT 1401.
5. Complete and submit appropriate scores from ONE of the following exams: HOBET (70 or greater composite score), OR SAT (1050 or greater verbal/math composite score), OR ACT (24 or greater verbal/math composite score).
6. Must have a minimum of 40 hours veterinary supervised clinical experience. Documentation will be required. Documentation forms are included in the application packet.
Please note - The Veterinary Technology Program was approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in January 2010, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) in May 2010, was accredited by the AVMA February 2012. The Program accepted its first class Fall 2010.