Study finds that students who earn associate degrees in STEM fields earn more than some four-year degree graduates
Blinn offers a variety of STEM and business degree programs that lead to high-demand, high-wage careers
June 12, 2018
A new study from Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce found that graduates holding an associate degree in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects earn a median annual salary of $60,000 – more than bachelor’s degree holders who major in the humanities and liberal arts.
The report found that 28 percent of associate degree holders, and many workers with one-year certificates, earn more than the average Bachelor of Arts degree holder. The report also found that graduates’ future career earnings were impacted more by their field of study than the institution from which they graduated. Students studying architecture and engineering; computers, statistics, and mathematics; physical sciences; and business hold the most earning power, according to the report.
The Blinn College District offers students a variety of STEM and business degree programs that lead to high-demand, high-pay careers, including:
- an Associate of Science (AS) and an Accounting Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in accounting, and an Accounting Technology Level 2 Certificate;
- an Associate of Arts (AA) Degree in architecture;
- an AS degree in biology,
- an AS degree in business
- a Business Administration and Management AAS degree,
- a Business Management Occupational Skills Award,
- an AS degree in chemistry,
- a Computer Information Technology Occupational Skills Award,
- an AS degree in computer science,
- an AS degree in construction science,
- an AS degree in economics,
- AS and AS Field of Study degrees in engineering,
- an AS degree in geology,
- a Hospitality Management Certificate,
- an Information Technology Administrator AAS degree,
- a Legal Assistant (Paralegal) AAS degree,
- a Legal Office Level 2 Certificate,
- a Linux Specialist Level 2 Certificate,
- an AS degree in mathematics,
- a Mediation Occupational Skills Award,
- a Microsoft Specialist Level 2 Certificate,
- an AS degree in physics,
- a Real Estate Certificate,
- a Small Business Certificate,
- a Therapeutics Manufacturing Certificate,
- an AAS in Veterinary Technology,
- and a Web Specialist Level 2 Certificate.
Blinn also offers a variety of high-demand health science programs, including:
- dental hygiene,
- emergency medical services,
- fire science,
- health information technology,
- pharmacy technician,
- nurse aide,
- physical therapist assistant,
- radiologic technology,
- surgical technology,
- and vocational nursing.
Blinn students who self-declare a STEM instructional program and have graduated from high school with at least a 3.0 grade-point average in mathematics and science courses may be eligible for the T-STEM Challenge Scholarship. Made possible from a grant provided to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board from the Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation, T-STEM scholarships may be awarded for as much as $1,250 per semester. For more information, visit www.blinn.edu/scholarships
Registration is open for Blinn’s Summer II and Fall 2018 semesters. The Summer II semester runs July 5-Aug. 2, and the Fall semester runs Aug. 27-Dec. 13.
Blinn’s academic transfer rate regularly ranks among the highest in the state and the nation.
According to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), Blinn’s academic transfer rate of 36.9 percent ranks second in the state and far exceeds the statewide average of 20.9 percent.
Blinn’s reputation for educational excellence is matched only by its affordability. According to the THECB’s CollegeForAllTexans.com, Blinn students who enroll in 30 credit hours during the 2018-19 academic year will save $3,914, or 42 percent, compared to state residents at the average Texas public university.
For enrollment or financial aid information, visit www.blinn.edu.
Director of Communications, Media Relations, and Marketing
Blinn College District
Marketing & Communications
902 College Ave.
Brenham, TX 77833
About Blinn College
With an enrollment of 19,581 students, Blinn ranks among the nation’s leaders in transferring students to leading four-year universities and has received national recognition for affordable educational excellence.