Hazlewood for Veterans
The Hazlewood Exemption
- The Hazlewood Act provides Veterans with 150 semester hours of paid tuition. It does not cover the cost of books, non-tuition related fees, or parking related fees.
- Effective Fall 2014 all recipients of the Hazlewood Exemption Act must be meeting the Financial Aid Office’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.
- Veteran must have entered the service in Texas, and/or maintained a home of record in the state of Texas (as stated on the DD-214)
- Veteran must have served a minimum of 181 days of active duty, excluding training time (for reservists).
- Veteran must reside in the state of Texas in order to be eligible for benefits.
Documentation Required for Approval/Certification
DD-214 (Member 4 Copy Preferred):
- Must show Place of Entry into Service, or Home of Record as within Texas, as well as active time served and nature of discharge.
- Must be completed by the veteran, and submitted during the first academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer) attending Blinn College.
- Must maintain a residence in the Texas while using the benefit, or will be considered ineligible.
Hazlewood Exemption Renewal Application
- This form is used for enrollment of returning Blinn College students subsequent to the initial enrollment at the school (Blinn College) in which the student is currently and consistently enrolled. If a break in enrollment or change of school occurs then the complete Hazlewood Exemption Application must be completed.
- Example: Student received the Hazlewood exemption at Blinn College during the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters, and is returning to Blinn College for the Fall 2015 year. Only the renewal application is required to be submitted for the next academic year.
VA Request for Certification(VAROC):
- This document must be submitted every semester you enroll to take classes.
- Outlines the type of benefit you are using, which semester you are applying for, how many hours you are taking, and your degree program/major. This is the last step for certification, and can only be turned in AFTER you have registered for classes.