Hazlewood for Veterans
The Hazlewood Exemption
- The Hazlewood Act provides Veterans with 150 semester hours of paid tuition. It does not cover the cost of books, non-tuition related fees, or parking related fees.
- Effective Fall 2014 all recipients of the Hazlewood Exemption Act must be meeting the Financial Aid Office’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.
- Veteran must have entered the service in Texas, and/or maintained a home of record in the state of Texas (as stated on the DD-214)
- Veteran must have served a minimum of 181 days of active duty, excluding training time (for reservists).
- Veteran must reside in the state of Texas in order to be eligible for benefits.
Documentation Required for Approval/Certification
DD-214 (Member 4 Copy Preferred):
- Must show Place of Entry into Service, or Home of Record as within Texas, as well as active time served and nature of discharge.
- Must be completed by the veteran and submitted each academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer) prior to requesting the benefit while attending Blinn College.
- Must maintain a residence in the Texas while using the benefit, or will be considered ineligible.
VA Request for Certification(VAROC):
- This document must be submitted every semester you enroll to take classes.
- Outlines the type of benefit you are using, which semester you are applying for, how many hours you are taking, and your degree program/major. This is the last step for certification, and can only be turned in AFTER you have registered for classes.