Dress Code Requirements
- Blinn College Student ID is worn at all times while oncampus
- Royal blue scrubs
- T-shirt under V-neck scrubs to prevent exposure of chest area
- Tennis shoes (any color and style)
- Please allow faculty/staff to approve of your uniforms prior to removing any tags as there are variations in the color of royal (such as galaxy blue)
- School designated uniform for the clinical area: white uniform top with royal blue pants.
- Additional pins and/or decorations are not allowed.
- Uniforms must be clean, neat, and wrinkle free. Pants must not exceed the length of the bottom of the shoe.
- Shoes shall be mainly white but may contain a minimal amount of grey or coordinating blue. They must be leather/vinyl (not canvas) tennis shoes with white socks are required with uniforms. No clogs or crocs allowed.
- Small, plain nurse's watch with second hand without stones, a pair of bandage scissors, stethoscope, penlight, pocket tape measure, pocket calculator, and OSHA approved eye protection is mandatory for all students.
- Identification badge must be worn on the upper chest area of uniform. Designated Blinn Vocational Nursing patch is worn on left sleeve of uniforms and lab jackets.
- The wearing of jewelry should contribute to client and student safety. Jewelry: watch as decribed above, plain gold/silver wedding band on ring finger without stones may be worn, and a simple necklace inside uniform may be worn. Earrings must be 1/4" or smaller plain gold, silver or white post (no loop earrings, no stones), one per earlobe, may be worn.
- Visible body piercing will be restricted to earlobes.
- Visible body markings are to be covered at all times during clinicals. Examples: tattoos, "passion marks," etc.
- Fingernails will be neat, clean, and trimmed short, not to exceed the fingertips. Clear, unchipped nail polish may be worn. Artificial nails shall not be worn.
- Hair will be neat, clean, in control, and of natural color (i.e. no maroon or non-natural born hair colors). Long hair must be pulled back from the face and off the collar. Hair ornaments must be small, white or neutral colored, no hair beads. Beard and mustache will be neat, clean and well-trimmed. Eyelash extensions are not permitted. Grooming will contribute to client safety.
- Personal hygiene - student will be clean and free of body odors, i.e., strong perfume, halitosis (bad breath), tobacco smoke, etc. Make up should be natural and reflect the professional nature of nursing, etc.
- While on duty in clinical area the student will be in complete uniform except in services that require other dress such as operating room, isolation, etc.
- Smoking, eating, or drinking beverages is allowed only in designated areas per facility policy. Chewing gum is not allowed in the clinical setting.
- Dress code policies will be enforced. Refusal to comply with this policy may result in student being sent home resulting in loss of attendance and lowering of clinical grade. These standards and any additional standards may be interpreted by the clinical agency.