Blinn College Blinn A to Z | Directory | About Us | Employment | Support Blinn     

Bacterial Meningitis Information and Requirements

What is Bacterial Meningitis?
Bacterial Meningitis is a serious, potentially deadly disease that can progress quickly. It is an inflammation of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.  The bacteria that cause meningitis can also infect the blood.

Why Do I Need a Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine?
The State passed Senate Bill 1107 in 2011 and recently Senate Bill 62 in 2013, which requires all students under the age of 22 entering an institution of higher education to show proof of having the vaccine.  The vaccine must be administered at least 10 days prior to the start of the semester.  The vaccine must be no more than 5 years old from the date the student enrolls.  The entire text of SB 1107 and SB 62 may be found here: AND

Are there exceptions to the law?
The following exemptions apply:

  1. If you are over the age of 22 before the semester start date.

  2. If you are enrolled in a continuing education course or program that is less than 360 contact hours, or continuing education corporate training.

  3. If you are taking internet (web) courses only.

  4. The Texas Department of Health allows exemptions from the immunization based on:

a. Medical Issues
b. Reasons of conscience, including a religious belief
c. Active duty with the armed forces of the United States

How do I file for one of the exceptions mentioned above?

  1. If you are (or will be) over the age of 22 prior to the start of the term, you will automatically get the exemption.

  2. If you plan on taking Internet only courses, you will need to contact the Admissions Office and ask for the exemption. Please note: if Admissions grants you this exemption and then you enroll in on-site class(es), you will be dropped from your on-site class(es).

  3. Students can opt to file an exemption under one of the provisions from the Texas Department of State Health Services by completing the form found on the following website

  4. The form above is valid for any student (regardless if the student is living on or off campus and age) requesting to the exemption under one of provisions.

    1. You must have a working printer to complete and print the form.

    2. You sign and date the printed form and submit to the admissions office (please see below on where to fax, email, mail, or deliver in person).

What is acceptable evidence of having the meningitis vaccine?

  1. A physician signed or stamped form.  You may use this Evidence of Vaccination form.

  2. Official state or local immunization record

  3. Official record from school officials.

Where can I show proof that I have the vaccine?
Please include your full name, date of birth, Blinn Student ID number, and telephone number on all correspondence.

  1. You can submit proof in person to the Enrollment Services Office at any campus.

  2. Fax your proof to 979.830.4110.  Fax Cover Sheet

  3. Scan your document and email it to  

  4. Mail it to:

Blinn College
Office of Admissions and Records
902 College Avenue
Brenham, TX 77833
Please note: You will not be eligible to enroll/register for courses until you provide proof or provide documentation for one of the exceptions listed above.

What happens if I don’t get the vaccine?
If you are required to have it, and do not show proof, you will not be eligible to enroll for classes at Blinn College.

Where can I get the vaccine?
You can get the vaccine from your doctor, the Texas Department of Health or through some pharmacies like CVS or Walgreens.

Is there a deadline to get the vaccine?
Yes, the vaccine must have been given no later than10 days prior to the start of the term.

How to Submit Evidence of Vaccination or an Affidavit to Decline Vaccination

All documents should be mailed, faxed, emailed or hand-delivered to the Office of Admissions. If you fax the documents, please use the Office of Admissions Fax Cover Sheet.

Mail: Blinn College, Office of Admissions, 902 College Avenue, Brenham, TX 77833
Phone: (979)830.4000

Fax: (979) 830.4110. Fax Cover Sheet


In-Person Delivery: You may deliver your documents in person to the Enrollment Services Office at any of our four campuses.


Meningococcal Disease: Information for Teens and College Students