Blinn College Blinn A to Z | Directory | About Us | Employment | Support Blinn     
Financial Aid Header graphic



Mailing Address:
Financial Aid
Blinn College
902 College Ave.
Brenham, TX 77833

Brenham Campus
On-campus Location:
Administration Bldg., Room 122

Bryan Campus
On-campus Location:
Administration Bldg.,
By College Park Center


Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work Study may be offered as part of your total financial aid package and listed on your tentative financial award plan.   In order to be eligible for Federal Work Study, you must be enrolled at least half-time and have documented need.  Your “need” is calculated based on the information that you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  

Federal Work Study provides an excellent opportunity for you to earn money and obtain job skills while attending Blinn College.  The Federal government allocates a limited amount of funds to Blinn for this program each year. Awards are allocated on a first come, first served basis. 

In order to be considered for Federal Work Study complete the following steps.

Step One: Complete the Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA).  To ensure that we receive your application you must list Blinn College’s school code, #003549, on the FAFSA.

Step Two: You must have a complete financial aid file to be awarded any aid.  Check your myBLINNaccount to ensure your file is complete and/or call the Financial Aid Office to ensure that your file is complete.

Step Three:  Once your file is complete, the Blinn College Financial Aid office will award you a tentative financial aid package.  If you were awarded Federal Work Study, you must accept or decline the award on the tentative financial award plan and return to the Financial Aid Office.   Your award will be cancelled if you do not accept or decline the Federal Work Study award or if you do not find a work study job.

Step Four:  Find a work study position.  It is the student responsibility to find a work study job.  You can review the positions and job requirements online at

If you are not awarded Federal Work Study and would like to be placed on the waiting list, please contact the Financial Aid Office.  We will place you on the waiting list if you meet all of eligibility requirements.


Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I earn as much money as I want?
No. Your FWS award represents the maximum amount you may earn for the academic year. How much you receive will depend upon your rate of pay, total number of hours worked each week and the number of weeks worked throughout the year. ( The maximum amount of hours that Blinn allows student workers to work is 19 hours per week. )

Am I paid an hourly wage or salary?
You are paid by the hour. Your rate of pay will be at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

How will I be paid?
You will be paid on the 5th and the 20th of each month.  Your supervisor will submit a time sheet to the Human Resources Office with amount of hours worked.

If I am unable to earn my entire award, will I be able to receive the rest of the money?
No. You can be paid only for the hours you have worked.  If you cannot earn the entire FWS award before the end of the academic year, the unearned portion is returned to the program.

How many hours must I take to be eligible for Federal Work Study?
You must register for and maintain an enrollment status of half-time (6 hours) or greater to be eligible for FWS.  If, for any reason, your course load falls below half-time, you can no longer participate in the program and must stop working.

What are the benefits of the FWS program?
The Federal Work Study is an excellent opportunity for students to gain valuable work experience with the convenience of working on or near their campus.  This experience will help a student build valuable references for jobs after graduating from Blinn College.