Blinn College Blinn A to Z | Directory | About Us | Employment | Support Blinn     
Advising header graphic


Click the questions below to reveal the answers

1. Have a question about a date or deadline?

Please review the Academic Calendar.

2. What’s the difference between advising and counseling?

Academic Advising is the interactive process of guiding students through course selection based on assessment outcomes, intended academic/career goals and future transfer colleges and universities.

Counseling is the provision of assistance and guidance in resolving personal, social, and psychology problems and difficulties by a professional.

3. Should I be advised even if it is not required?

Yes. It is recommended that students be advised early each semester to determine course planning and transfer eligibility.

4. What is a TSI Hold?

The Texas State Initiative (TSI) Hold is placed on a student’s record when the student does not meet college readiness standards in Math, Reading, and/or Writing on the Texas State Initiative Assessment (TSIA). These students are required to be advised each semester until they complete their developmental sequence(s).

A TSI Initial Hold is placed on all new student records, some of which may be TSI complete or TSI incomplete.

5. What is Degree Works?

It is a software program designed to provide students with a comprehensive set of web-based academic advising, degree audit, and transfer articulation tools to help students and advisors negotiate the institution’s curriculum requirements.

6. Where do I turn in my high school or other college transcripts or shot records?

All admissions documentation must be submitted to Enrollment Services/Admissions prior to meeting with an academic advisor.

7. Where is testing information?

Please visit Testing and Assessment for more information.

8. How do I register for courses?

Advisors do not register students for courses. Registration can be completed in your myBLINN account. Click on the My Records tab under Registration Tools, then, click add or drop courses. Click here for a guide on How to Register.

9. What is the MPE?

The Math Placement Exam (MPE) is a free, online assessment required for those students who wish to enroll in Pre-calculus (MATH 2412) or Calculus I (MATH 2413).

10. Can I take MATH 1316 if I took MATH 1314?

No. Students must complete MATH 1414 with a grade of “C” or higher in order to register for MATH 1316.

11. What is a Q drop or a W? How many Q drops are allowed?

A Q drop is a notation on a student’s transcript when a class is dropped without academic penalty. A student is only allowed 6 Q drops during the entire undergraduate academic career. This means the number of Q drops a student uses will follow him/her to other colleges.

A W (withdrawal) noted on a transcript is a complete removal from coursework due to unforeseen circumstances. Withdrawals must be documented and approved by the college. No penalty is assessed on the student’s academic transcript.

12. When do I contact my intended transfer institution?

It is never too early to contact your intended transfer institution. A visit to the college/university campus is encouraged. It is highly recommended to stay in contact with your transfer institution for the most up to date transfer requirements.

13. Who can I speak to about Financial Aid?

Academic Advisors do not provide information regarding financial aid. Please visit Financial Aid for more information.

14. Are there services for students with disabilities?

Students with documented disabilities may seek support from Blinn College’s Office of Disability Services. Students are encouraged to contact this office as early as possible to initiate services. To make an appointment or to receive more information about services on all campuses, please contact the Office of Disability Services.

15. Should I take an online class my first semester?

It is generally not suggested for incoming freshman to take an online course.

16. What’s the difference between Distance Education and online classes?

There are several types of Distance Education courses.

i. Online courses- course is taken online with no face to face instruction
ii. Blended courses- These courses are half online and half face to face instruction. Typically you meet once a week and the rest of the course completed is online.
iii. IVC- interactive video conference courses

17. Do I need to see an academic advisor before I drop a course?

No. Students are not required to meet with an advisor prior to dropping a course; however, a visit with Financial Aid and Housing is recommended, if applicable, prior to dropping a course.

18. How do I drop a course?

Students can drop a course online in the myBLINN account. Under the My Records tab, select Registration Tools, Add/Drop course.

19. How do I change my major?

Students can change majors by completing the Change of Major Form. This form is available in the Academic Advising Office and Enrollment Services. Please allow one week for the change to be entered.

20. I am struggling in a course. Where can I get help? Do you offer tutoring assistance?

Tutoring is available for free in the Learning Centers on the Brenham and Bryan Campuses. Visit Tutoring for more information. Students on the Schulenburg and Sealy Campuses should contact Enrollment Services for tutoring information.

21. How do I calculate my GPA? Where do I find my GPA?

Students can calculate a GPA in Degree Works. To access Degree Works, please visit your myBlinn account. Select the Student Links tab. On the bottom right side of the screen, select Degree Works. Then select, GPA Calc tab. Under the term calculator you can enter letter grades to calculate your semester GPA.

22. How do I request my Blinn College transcript?

Students can request a transcript online. Unofficial transcripts may be printed from a student’s myBlinn account.

23. Can I get a job on campus?

Part-time student worker jobs are available in various offices throughout the campuses. Job search and application are available online through the Human Resources web page.

24. How many campuses are there?

Blinn College has four campuses located in Brenham, Bryan, Schulenburg, and Sealy.

25. What do I do if I am sick?

Within the course syllabus, most instructors address absences. Most instructors will excuse the absence if you can provide written verification of illness from a doctor. Excused absences do not, however, excuse you from the requirements of the course. If you must miss an exam because of illness, call or e-mail your instructor before the absence. Talk with your instructor immediately following an absence to get advice about making up missed work.