Microsoft Lync- Instant Messaging (IM), online web meetings, telephone, video and audio calls.
Lync 2010 has been installed as the unified communication (UC) system. The Lync client is installed on all employee's computers by default. The Lync phone and enterprise voice is installed as the telephone system for employees and resident students.
Common Questions and Tips:
- No longer have to dial '9' for an outside number. Just the local number or the area code and number.
- How to set temporary voice mail greeting?
- In Outlook 2010: File menu- Manage Voicemail button- Choose the greeting to play to callers. Press the Call button to review or record the message.
- In web mail, mail.blinn.edu : Options menu- Voicemail- Telephone Access- Select the greeting to play to callers. Press the Play on Phone number to review or record the message (default has your email address) which will call you office phone number. Change this to another phone number where you can receive the call if you are at another number.
- Choose Out of Office Voicemail Greeting to have this message played to callers.
- Set Automatic Replies Out-Of-Office dates in Outlook or Web mail. This will set your Lync status to out of office as well as email replies.
- How to setup simultaneous ring to your designated delegates and team call group?
- How to Transfer
- On the Polycom phone, select the Menu- Transfer directly or Consult then Transfer
- On the Lync client, press the icon and select a contact or type in another number.
- How to check Voicemail?
- On the Lync client, press the icon and a list of all voicemails will be listed
- In email (Outlook or web mail), search for keywords 'voice mail' and the results will show all voicemail with the message as an attachment.
- On the Polycom phone, use the up/down arrows to select Voice Mail then press OK. A list of messages will be displayed. Use the up/down arrows to select a message then press Play or Call. The Menu button provides additional options.
- Off-campus, call 979-209-7668 for Bryan and 979-337-6810 for Brenham and use your phone extension and voice mail pin to access messages and other options.
- Can I make calls when the phone is locked?
- Yes. There are no restrictions on placing a call from a phone that is locked. Just dial or pick up the handset and dial. The only restrictions a locked phone has is access to personal contacts and calendar items.
- How to setup a online meeting or a call-in conference?
- Using Outlook calendar select New Online Meeting
- Set the date and time
- Add participants in the TO: line
- If you want it to be phone or call-in conference bridge only, delete the meeting links and leave just the phone number and conference ID.
- For a web-based meeting, on-campus particpants will click the link in the invitation and the Lync client will start and join the meeting automatically. Off-campus or non-Blinn participants will be prompted to download a web or local client and then will join the meeting.
You can stay connected using Lync 2010 mobile clients for iPhone, iPad, Windows Mobile, Android.
Information on using each client