Get the most out of your online meeting by getting ready ahead of time,
becoming familiar with the audio and video controls, monitoring meeting status
during the meeting, and reviewing the ways you can interact with others.
What do you want to do?
Get ready for the meeting
Get ready for the meeting by checking your audio and video settings and
devices. If you plan to join from a computer without Microsoft Lync 2010
communications software installed, review the alternate meeting join options.
For details, see Join
a meeting remotely.
Check your audio and video
- In the Lync main window, click the Options button .
- In the Lync - Options dialog box, click Audio
Device, verify that the correct device is selected, and then click the Check Call Quality button to test the device.
- Click Video Device, and then verify that your camera is
- Click OK.
Verify that you have an audio
device that is optimized for Lync 2010
Control audio and video
Depending on how the meeting is configured, you can mute or unmute your audio
and show or hide your video.
Mute or unmute your
- In the conversation window, click the Mute microphone or
Unmute microphone button.
Start or stop your meeting
- In the conversation window, click Video.
Note You cannot join a video
conversation if you connected to the meeting by phone.
Monitor meeting status
Monitor the conversation window for notifications and connection status.
Check your connection status
- In the participant list, point to the instant messaging (IM), audio,
video, or sharing connection status icons next to your name.
- In the conversation window, point to the network connectivity
View messages and alerts
- Verify that the conversation window is visible on your desktop.
Notifications appear during the meeting just above the audio controls.
Interact with meeting
Depending on how the meeting is
set up, you can download meeting attachments and use the whiteboard and
Download a meeting attachment
- In the conversation window, if one or more meeting attachments are
available, click the Add or view attachments button, and then
save the attachment in the location you want.
Use the whiteboard and annotation
- Depending on how the meeting is configured, you can use annotation tools
such as a pointer, text box, or highlighter when viewing a whiteboard or
Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. For details, see Collaborate
on a whiteboard.
Interact with others in the
To start a private conversation with someone in the meeting, do the
- In the participant list, right-click the person’s name, and then click Send an Instant Message.
Exit the meeting
To exit the meeting, do the following:
- Close the conversation window.