Blinn College is a comprehensive community college committed to educational excellence and to individual and community enhancement.
Blinn College will be the leading educational, cultural and economic resource for our stakeholders.
Blinn College, the Junior College District of Washington County, is located in Brenham, Texas, and serves a 13 county service area with campuses in Bryan, Sealy and Schulenburg. The school was founded in 1883 by the Southern German Conference of the Methodist denomination under the name of Mission Institution. In 1889 the name was changed to Blinn Memorial College in honor of the Reverend Christian Blinn of New York who had donated a considerable sum of money to make the school possible. The institution was originally founded for the purpose of training young men for the ministry, but in the course of time, to meet the demands of the public, academic courses were added. After operating for five years as an institution for men only, Blinn College was made coeducational in 1888. Until 1927 the school was of academy rank. In 1927 the Board of Trustees, under leadership of President Philip Deschner, organized a junior college. In 1930 the school was merged with Southwestern University (Georgetown, Texas). In 1934, a new charter was procured by the citizens of Brenham, and a private nonsectarian junior college, under the name of Blinn College, was organized with nine regents as the board of control. In February, 1937, all connection with Southwestern University and the Methodist denominations were severed. An election held in Washington County on June 8, 1937, for the purposes of creating a public junior college district and for levying a small tax, was successful. Blinn thus became the first county-owned junior college district in Texas. The college continues to operate as one of the largest of the state’s 50 public junior/community college districts.